[Zope] Large TextIndexNG Problem

David Mackay mackay_d@bellsouth.net
Mon, 09 Dec 2002 08:58:45 -0600

> The largest installation with TextIndexNG running I have seen was about
> 70,000 documents large. It ran on a fast Athlon machine with 256 MB.
> I assume you are running into some kind of memory problem. I suggest
> to run "top" when you are trying to index the documents. Watch
> the memory usage of the running Zope process and checkout your swap
> process. Also you can try to play around with the number of subtransactions
> uses. I have seen a memory explosion on a solaris system some
> time ago but never seen such a memory problem under Linux i386.
>
> If you have further problems please contact me again.

Thanks.  I seem to have managed to scramble the database.  I don't think
that the python that I have loaded supports large files, so I probably
exceeded the limit during the pack operation.  I loaded a new zope
instance, and imported components from the old instance.  I've set the
indexing script to commit the transaction every 20,000 documents, and
that seems to have helped a lot.  You were right about the memory.  That
was WHY we have 768MB on the machine.

Dave