[Zope] Storing many large objects in many folders

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Mon, 9 Dec 2002 22:55:14 +0100

Christoph Schmitz writes:
 > I need to store many large objects (30+MB video files) in a way that
 > Zope can serve them; plus, these files should be distributed over a
 > large folder tree /mytree/... in my Zope system.
 >
 > We've considered the following options:
 >
 > - use LocalFS; the problem is that I'd like to avoid having a LocalFS
 > object in every folder of /mytree/..., and I neither want to put all
 > the files into one filesystem directory; so I'd need some solution
 > that automatically maintains the logical structure of /mytree/... in
 > the filesystem directory.
 >
 > - use BLOBs on a RDBMS; unfortunately, I couldn't get the DBMS
 > connection we are using (DB2 via SQLRelay) to work correctly with
 > BLOBs; I've considered
 > http://www.zope.org/Members/peterb/oracle_lobs, but without success.
You may look for "ExtFile", maybe with a streaming "index_html" (i.e.
you use "RESPONSE.write").

However, I would follow the advice of others and see, whether
you cannot serve these objects directly from the file system.

Dieter