TransparentFolder (was: Re: [Zope] Help! I need an old Debia n package.)

Mon, 09 Dec 2002 16:38:47 -0800

TFs are evil.  They are the wrong solution to a real problem.  A better
solution for clutter is the CMF skins tool.  Even if you only use the CMF to
get the skins tool and put a non-CMF zope application within a portal
folder, this is much better than using TFs.  In Zope 2.3, TFs will break
sessioning with CoreSessionTracking becuase of an id collision for browser
id managers.  I assume this is also true of more modern Zope versions.  The
skins tool will do for most people what they intended to do with TFs, but in
a less surprising, and well-documented way (plus you get configurable
layering, and concurrent software upgrade migration paths by developing TTW
code in another skin than your production application deployment).

Sean

-----Original Message-----
From: Kyler Laird [mailto:Kyler@Lairds.com]
Sent: Tuesday, December 03, 2002 4:50 PM
To: Jo Meder
Cc: zope@zope.org
Subject: Re: TransparentFolder (was: Re: [Zope] Help! I need an old
Debian package.)

On Wed, Dec 04, 2002 at 01:09:43AM +0100, Jo Meder wrote:

> I'd second TransparentFolder as a feature request for Zope.  They are
> really useful to structure storage without complicating URLs if you know
> what you're doing. Of course you have to be careful wrt duplicate ids.

As I recall, they cause horrible (processing) inefficiencies,
so they are not likely to be adopted in the base product.
The human efficiencies they bring (to us) are substantial.

I've been assuming that I'm the only one using TFs, so it's
nice to know someone else does.  More people to share the
load if we ever need to modify the product to handle a change
in Zope!

Now for my TF usage...

It's become *very* common for me to create a Folder such as
"proposals" and fill it with other Folders that represent
proposals.  Then I want tools that act on the proposals (like
"PDF_compilation").  It's sooo clean for me to be able
to drop a TF named "tools" into "proposals" and then simply
call it like this.
	http://.../blah/proposals/2002001/PDF_compilation
I do this all the time.  It would be hard for me to go back
to a non-TF world.

--kyler