[Zope] Intel vs AMD

Dennis Allison allison@sumeru.stanford.EDU
Mon, 9 Dec 2002 17:30:15 -0800

Re: the AMD Server.  It's a 2U unit with HUGE air throughput because of the
heat problem.  It was done for us at CCSI in Atlanta.  It is not a noise
friendly system, but just fine in a colocation environment.

Frequency based thermal management is somewhat self-defeating, but it is
fail-safe.  What you really have to do is increase the cooling...

I don't have a comparable Intel processor machine, but I do run a P-II 60MHz
machine (P-II with a repaired FPU) running an ancient version of Linux which
serves a few low traffic websites.  It's uptime seems to be limited only by
the frequency of successful intrusions and/or power failures.

I don't have any experience with RH8.0 on the Athlon machines.  RH8 is a major
change so I will wait a while for it to stablize...

-d