[Zope] Time zones (another try)

Richard Wesley hawkfish@electricfish.com
Thu, 12 Dec 2002 12:54:10 -0800

Ken -

At 3:16 PM -0500 12/12/02, ken wrote:
>Richard,
>
>I'm not following the rationale for wanting your database to think it's
>GMT, but that's okay.

We have to pick a representation for the database because it does not
appear to support one natively.  The choices are either UTC or or
local time.  If we decide to share a database among several servers
distributed around the world, they all need to agree on a single time
representation, at which point "local time" becomes meaningless.
Hence our use of UTC.

>Whatever time you want MySQL to think it is can
>be set at the command line with the --timezone option, like
>
>--timezone=UTC
>
>If you're curious, this is processed by /usr/bin/safe_mysqld.

Fabulous.  Thanks for the info.

>Also
>check to see if there's something in /etc/my.conf like
>
>TZ=PST8PDT
>export TZ
>
>Again, change the value to your desired timezone.

I will check these out.

There is still the problem, though, of how to make Zope send GMT
through the ZMySQLDA module.  I can hack up the adapter, but I was
sort of hoping that there was some sort of configuration for it.
Sincerely,

Richard Wesley
Co-President, Electric Fish, Inc.
<http://www.electricfish.com/>