[Zope] Apache-Squid-Zope, Squid-Apache-Zope.. or just Squid-Z ope?

Fri, 13 Dec 2002 09:23:59 -0800

I think the best way to sum up Squid's configuration is: the problem is not
that you need to understand all the configuration options in squid.conf, but
you need to understand what to ignore... ;)

The same, to some extent, is possibly true of Apache.

My thoughts on trying to dive into Squid setup:
-> Compile Squid from source, with enough of a file-descriptor ceiling
(ulimit & hacking Makefile(s)) that you are not shooting yourself come high
traffic time. Use --disable-internal-dns if you want to use /etc/hosts
(note, this may have changed somewhere in 2.5PRE+).
-> Run squid with ulimit set to give you enough file descriptors.
-> Ignore anything/everything related to cache peering in squid.conf if you
don't know you need it.
	-> Ignore this suggestion if you want to use ICP in Zope 2.6 (then
read Toby's howto)
-> Set the port you want to serve on (80)
-> Use a redirector (http://freshmeat.net/projects/pyredir), set this part
up in squid.conf
-> Set up to 5-6 necessary items in the accel section
-> Make sure your acls are set up to allow what you need.
-> If you want ssl support, the setup (Squid 2.5) is really no more
difficult than apache, with a few gotchas (way URLs are treated internally
in Squid data structures is as http://foo not https://foo, so redirtors and
ACLs can be confusing).

If you try enough to (as much as possible) ignore the other stuff in
squid.conf, you are likely okay.

Sean