[Zope] why will python be using over 90% of CPU time ?

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Fri, 13 Dec 2002 22:55:30 +0100

Hamzat Kamal writes:
 > I am running zope server 2.5.1, python 2.1.3. on RedHat Linux (latest
 > ver).
 > Ever before now I discovered that when the traffic to my site is high the
 > python will be using 99.9% of the CPU usage constantly, and only using
 > 300Mb of 772Mb of my bandwidth.
Depending on the complexity of your templates,
template rendering may be very CPU intensive.

 > This make the site to be very slow and
 > almost inaccessible to the visitors, infact it always bring down the zope
 > server. But now I also found out that the python uses as much as 45-55% of
 > the CPU usage when the traffic is redirected out of the zerver and been
 > accessed by me alone.
Consider the various caching techniques (HTTP cache manager
with external HTTP cache (Squid); RAM cache manager).

 > I need help from those that have better understanding of how the zope
 > server works on what could have been the cause(s) and what can I do to
 > sovle this problem.
Use profiling to understand the CPU costs associated with rendering.

You have two options:

  *  the "CallProfiler", a high level (template/script) profiling tool
     (external, third party product)

  *  Zope's support for Python's profiling facility, exposed
     via "Control_Panel --> Debug informaiton --> Profiling".

     This is low level profiling (function call level).

Dieter