[Zope] Win32, Zope and FTP

joseph toman toman@marge.cyber-dyne.com
Sat, 14 Dec 2002 06:46:07 +0000

Dieter Maurer wrote:

>toman writes:
> > I'm trying to put together a collaboration app that allows users to
> > share large datasets. When I ftp the data, which has numerous folders
> > and large (~100Meg) and small files in them, to a Zope 2.6.0 server
> > running on Windows XP, it will transfer many but not all of the
> > datasets. Then if I try to make another object, say a folder, through
> > ftp or the management screens, the server hangs.
>Maybe, your FTP client forgets to close connections.
>
>  After some time, Zope will have no more file descriptors
>  to accept further requests.
>
> > The same test on a
> > Linux box running Mandrake 8.something doesn't show this problem at all.
>With the same FTP client?

Yes, the client was WSFTP_LE. Further tests had the same results when
moving 4  ~15MB files via WebDAV. The server on the XP box hung
and none of the files were moved. The client was the built in Web
folders on Win2K. With the same client the Zope server on the linux box
received the files
fine. I ran a Zope server on my Windows Me laptop and moved some files
onto it with WebDAV from a linux box (Mandrake 9.0,KDE 3.0) and
though the largest (a CD image ~500Mb) files didn't transfer (it looks
like I ran out of disk space on the system drive) the Zope server didn't
hang.

> > Ideas? I would guess that it's a threading problem, mostly because in my
> > experience threads suck on Windows, but I don't know enough about the
> > Zope internals to prove it.
>I have not yet heard of (modern) Windows threading problems.
>They seem to be better supported than on Unix.

That could be. My experience with Windows threads is at least five years
old.

            J. Toman