[Zope] newbie: why can't I list directories under ftp on RH7.2?

Ray Peck rpeck@rpeck.com
Tue, 17 Dec 2002 02:49:48 -0800

Hi!  I'm a new Zope user / admin and so far am pretty happy with the
system.  I've been a software developer for about 12 years (I was a CPU
engineer before that), working on things as diverse as object-code
rewriting, RISC assembler code graphics libraries, writing a Java
distributed object platform and rewriting a WYSIWYG web-based website
editor to use an XML page representation.  I'm impressed with the
comprehensiveness of what's available in Zope and am happy to be here.

Question: I've set up the server on my rh7.2 machine, connected through
Apache and using virtual hosts and SiteRoot.  All is going well so far
(my initial site is http://www.sfbagc.com), except for ftp.

I've opened up port 8021 using ipchains to my local network, and I can
ftp to the server from localhost or from a Windows ftp client, and can
log in.  But I can't get a directory listing ("Unauthorized") or change
to directories that I thounk ought to be there ("/Diaries").  I haven't
been able to find any clues using Google.

Am I missing some important Zope or system config?  Any clues would
help.

Thanks!

"Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognize a
mistake when you make it again." - F. P. Jones