[Zope] syncing two instances of zope

Paul Winkler pw_lists@slinkp.com
Thu, 19 Dec 2002 15:40:49 -0800

On Thu, Dec 19, 2002 at 06:27:40PM -0500, Kevin Carlson wrote:
> You could use ZSyncer and set up a cron job to automate its calling either
> through xmlrpc or httplib.  I'd personally use xmlrpc from a cron job.
> We're doing this in several places and it works very well.  Something like
> this:
>
>   import xmlrpclib
>   server = xmlrpclib.Server('http://localhost:8080/')
>   server.someScript()
>
> This script should call the ZSyncer object with the appropriate properties
> set.  Take a look at the code for ZSyncer and you should be able to find
> what you're looking for.

That would do the job, BUT be aware that when you sync a folder
using zsyncer, it basically:

1) Exports the folder, but puts the export data into RAM instead
of disk.
2) sends the export data across the network
3) Imports the export data on the remote server.

I have been having issues with using zsyncer on folders containing
100+ MB of data. It seems to work, but sometimes i never get
an acknowledgement from the remote that it's done.
And you can't just sync the root folder anyway - you'd *have*
to at least select objects within the root folder to sync.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com