[Zope] LocalFS and zCatalog

Meilicke, Scott scott.meilicke@intp.com
Fri, 20 Dec 2002 12:23:21 -0800

Dieter, thank you for the reply. For some reason I missed it last Friday.

I had done as you suggested, but retried again today, and it seems to work.
Clearly I did something different between then and now...

One interesting side effect is that when I do this from within the CMF,
using portal_catalog, it uses acquisition (inheritance?) to populate fields
such as Description with the portal description.  I'll have to figure out
how to suppress that.  At the very least I can add a Description property to
the LocalFS and leave it blank.

Scott

-----Original Message-----
From: Dieter Maurer [mailto:dieter@handshake.de]
Sent: Friday, December 13, 2002 1:31 PM
To: Meilicke, Scott
Cc: zope@zope.org
Subject: Re: [Zope] LocalFS and zCatalog

Meilicke, Scott writes:
 > I am trying to index files in a file system, not in zope, using LocalFS
and
 > zcatalog.  I have not been successful.  Is anyone doing this currently?
I did it with an older version of "LocalFS".

Did you activate cataloguing in the "LocalFS" instance configuration?

Did you add the files to the catalog (with the "Find objects and
catalog" tab of "ZCatalog")?

 > Specifically, I can't figure out what index localfs.py would use with a
 > zcatalog.
"LocalFS" maps files in the filesystem to internal Zope objects
(based on extensions). Each Zope object class provides some
attriutes/methods for cataloguing. These are usually "id", "title"
and (often) "PrincipiaSearchSource".

 > Also, there is a warning in the localfs help about poor
 > performance when using zcatalog support in a localfs - is this because it
 > catalogs all content with each query, and does not actually store the
 > results in zcatalog?
I do not think so...

But, when you have mapped a really big hiearchy into Zope and then
index it, it may take quite a bit of time....

Dieter
The information contained in this email message may be privileged and is
confidential information intended only for the use of the recipient or any
employee or agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient.
Any unauthorized use, distribution or copying of this information is
strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you have received this
communication in error, please notify the sender immediately and destroy the
original message and all attachments from your electronic files.