[Zope] Newbie Questions

Gary Learned learned@talentsinc.net
Sat, 2 Feb 2002 18:15:03 -0600

Ok, I've just read the New Riders Zope Web Application Development &
Content Management book, and I've got some questions I hope some kind
soul out there will help me with. From what I can see, Zope is just what
I've been wishing for. I only  hope I have enough brain cells left to
learn these 'new tricks'.

1. I have Zope installed in a Windows XP environment. Is it possible to
move the data.fs file to a location other than the program executable
'var' directory. Our executables are under a different backup schedule
than data files. My other option would be to move the entire zope
directory over to a data drive.

2. In the book, it mentions that Zope Templates have to be total and
complete html documents. If I want to create separate items like banners
and navbars that will get sucked into all pages, I assume that means
they have to be methods that are somehow included into a template? In
other words, you can't have a portion of a page defined as a template as
I understand this.

3. The book talks about creating a zope on a particular port. Does this
mean that I have multiple zope services running, or is it possible to
have a single service monitor multiple ports?

4. In the application case study, the book said that experience has
shown that it's best to have a folder at the root before the top level
folder of your site, as follows:

	/ (root)
		Top/ Top Level Folder
			SiteRoot/ (Actual Site Root Folder)

Can someone explain the value of that one additional folder layer? I'm
not seeing it yet and I'm pretty sure it's just because I am missing
something.