[Zope] 2.5 upgrade, Sessions - too clever for myself

Brad Clements bkc@murkworks.com
Wed, 13 Feb 2002 10:52:06 -0500

On 13 Feb 2002 at 10:38, Chris McDonough wrote:

> OK, that was fast.  I was able to repeat it.  Now... let me ask the five
> million dollar question. ;-)  Since SESSION *is* the session data object,
> why do you want to be able to call getSessionData() on it reliably?  I will
> work on seeing how the wrapping differs between cases, but this may be a
> feature and not a bug.

I thought request.SESSION was the Session Data Manager, on which I would call
getSessionData(create=0)

>From session-add.stx

    place SESSION in REQUEST as --
    If set, the REQUEST variable will be populated with the session
    object, stored as the given name (default is 'SESSION')

I read this as putting the Session Data Manager object into REQUEST as "SESSION",
rather than the session data object. Hmm, too many objects that begin with "Session"

If you put the session data object into REQUEST, then it will always be created and you
can't control it's creation with the session API.. right?

--

Looks like I've made a mistake, though its very strange that it ever worked at all.

maybe changing the session-add.stx file to say "session DATA object" rather than
"session object" would be helpful.

Brad Clements,                bkc@murkworks.com   (315)268-1000
netmeeting: ils://ils.murkworks.com               AOL-IM: BKClements