[Zope] Does Zope translate http-equiv statements?

Chris Beaumont cbeaumon@msri.org
Thu, 14 Feb 2002 09:37:59 -0800

Andreas and Lennart,

Excuse me if perhaps I'm misunderstanding you and you already know this.. but..

"The part between <HEAD> and </HEAD>" isn't the same as what most
people mean when they refer to the "header" actually..

  The 'header' of an HTML document is rarely seen, unless you can sit
and watch the streamed exchange of data between the client and server
directly.. (using special tools, - sometimes this is *quite* useful
in debugging an interaction..)

   It's in the "real" (almost always unseen) header that the client
makes the "GET" statement and it's also where the exchange that
determines mime-types happens.. It's also where you might get
commands such as a redirect or a 404 not found..(or other response
codes..)

<dtml-call "RESPONSE.setHeader ...  DOES effect the stuff that
happens in the "real" header, and that's why it's such a useful
command..

The stuff in the HEAD can frequently be ignored if it contradicts
something in the real header.. This is the thing that varies by
browser..

Take a look at the HTTP specification.. it's all in there, and more..

Hope that helps!

Chris Beaumont