[Zope] Re: Content Management Design Patterns

Steve Spicklemire steve@spvi.com
Sun, 17 Feb 2002 07:09:42 -0500

Hi Graham,

On Saturday, February 16, 2002, at 07:59  PM, jerry wrote:

> Hi Graham,
>
> On Sat, 16 Feb 2002, you wrote:
>> Perhaps it would be useful to indicate on the companion
>> website webdev.zopeonarope.com what no longer works under
>> 2.5
>
> Even better, we hope to be posting updates, fixes, or workarounds
> for anything that stops working with newer versions of Zope, or for
> whatever reason. In fact, this process has already begun. See the
> chapter two folder on the web site, for example.
>
>> and which parts that have been emphasized in the book
>> are no longer relevant.
>
> Relevance is a pretty subjective quality, and has everything to do
> with the tools that an individual selects. If a tool still works and is
> performing some useful task for someone, that seems quite relevant,
> especiallly to that person.
>
>> I've been trying to follow Chapter 12, but find that emarket
>> is a broken product, and apparently from what you say above,
>> zpatterns is to be superceded soon.

For what it's worth, there is (now) a version of EMarket that should
work in  Zope-2.5.0 on webdev.zopeonarope.com. EMarket wasn't really
meant to be "part of the book", but it was mentioned in chapter 12 as an
example of a ZPatterns based product. ZPatterns itself won't really be
"superceded" until Zope3 is final. We are already helping out on Zope3..
so we'll be moving our products there as well. While we might not be
using ZPatterns, we'll be doing all the same things, so we'll need
ZPatterns-like functionality.  Thanks for the note, and the incentive to
post the update.

take care,
-steve