[Zope] Zope-2.5.0 randomly restarting?

Sven Rudolph sven@spaghetticode.de
Sun, 17 Feb 2002 22:48:27 +0100

Hello Zope users!

I have a pretty confusing problem. After several weeks of develpoment we finally kicked out our old (commercial, closed source, low support) CMS and went online with our webpage, now driven by zope. Everything works fine, the performance is great and for us programmers it's just heaven :-)
But...
The zope server is restarting several times a day (intervalls between 1/2 hour to 6 hours) and I can't find out how or why.
We have a developement server here at the office, which is a complete mirror of our live server, and which is used for save developement of new products. This development server behaves well and restarts only if click on "Restart" on the "Control_Panel".
But traffic on our dev. server is not existant (our tests only), whereas our live server produces about 12-15 megs of logfiles per day (about 60000 to 70000 requests).
The only reason I can imaging is system memory. Our live server only has 512 megs RAM for 266742objects/260megsData.fs. We already ordered another GByte, but they won't arrive until next week. So I tuned down the caching parameters to "Target Size=1100" and "Target max time between accesses=60", with no effect. The server keeps restarting.
Then I had a look at "top". It told me that the server never consumed more than 50% of system memory (usually only 20%, cpu load never goes beyond 20%). Sometimes the server restarts at only 10% memory.

This is our configuration:
Zope-2.5.0
RedHat 7.0 (with unknown modifications by our provider)
512megs RAM (waiting for another Gig)
Disc space - enough
cron jobs - none
manager accounts - Me and my colleague (programmers) only

Is this a known bug?
Has zope a buildin restart function that is called on certain errors?
Has zope a special error log (not Z2.log)?
Has anyone the same problem?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Greetings

Sven Rudolph