[Zope] Zope-2.5.0 randomly restarting?

Sven Rudolph sven@spaghetticode.de
Mon, 18 Feb 2002 01:33:49 +0100

Hello Chris.

Thanks again for your quick reply!

> > - Python version:
> >   2.1.1
>
> There are known problems with Python 2.1.1 crashing in certain
> circumstances.  Please try Python 2.1.2.
Zope isn't crashing. The server is restarting as if you would click on "Restart" in the Control_Panel.

> > - Your installed Zope Products:
> >   BTreeFolder and about 20 products of our own.
>
> OK.  Wow.  20 products.  That's a lot of products.
And a lot of work. And no documentation written yet...

>  Note that products don't
> run in a "sandbox" so it's equally possible for badly written products to
> take Zope down as it would be for bugs in Zope to take Zope down.
Maybe this is related to another bug I encountered. When I "refresh" one of my products I can't create new instances of it any more. If I try, I get the error message "object of type None is not callable. (I posted this earlier in this list, but never got an answer that solved the problem). When I first startet working with zope in september I used 2.4.0 and had no problems. After switching to 2.4.1 the error appeared and stayed (2.4.2, 2.4.3, 2.5.0). When I take all of our Products and put them into 2.4.0 there is no problem.
The traceback always says the error is in my addFunction. Here is an example:
My product is named GMSNachricht (it's for publishing news) and the class is called the same.
In GMSNachricht.py you find:
import lots.of.stuff

class GMSNachricht(GMSBase):
 """ docstring """
 etc.

def addGMSNachricht(self,REQUSET,RESPONSE):
 """ docstring """
 handle=GMSNachricht() <- This is the error (?)
 etc.

The traceback says the error is in the line that contains "handle=GMSNachricht()".
When I comment out anything from the addFunction (except this line), it still says the error is there.
When I comment out anything of the class too, it still says the error is there.
Now it comes!
If I just change the line to something like handle=sfdhgdshgf(GMSNachricht(qwer()) (in other words - syntactically correct nonsense) and do a refresh, the traceback still says the error is in the line containing "handle=GMSNachricht()"! In other words. The nonsense changes are not recognized!
If I restart the server everything works fine again, until the next refresh of GMSNachricht.
As I said, this problem doesn't appear in 2.4.0.

> > As I asked before. Is there some kind of error log for zope?
>
> Yes, it's called the STUPID_LOG_FILE (really).
What the ...? Why is it called the STUPID_LOG_FILE? Are you sure it contains valuable Information? ;-)

> Please set the
> STUPID_LOG_FILE environment variable to a filename, export the envvar and
> restart Zope.  Debug information will then be written to this log file.
I will do that. Thanks for the tip.

Greetings

Sven Rudolph

--