[Zope] FTP/WebDAV editing in version (proposed interface)

Marcin Kasperski Marcin.Kasperski@bigfoot.com
Thu, 21 Feb 2002 10:41:45 +0100

Dieter Maurer wrote:
> Marcin Kasperski writes:
>  > I would really love to edit zope objects via FTP or WebDAV within the
>  > version. I know that it is possible to hack z2.py this way, but this is
>  > unelegant and troublesome on updates.
>  >
>  > And ... there is in Zope similar problem with perfect solution: changing
>  > URLs and VirtualHostMonster. And one could do almost the same.
>  >
>  > Would be really nice if editing
>  >
>  > ftp://my.zope.site:8021/_Version_/SomeVersionName/some/document
>  > or even
>  > ftp://my.zope.site:8021/SomeVersionName/some/document
>  >
>  > changed /some/document withing version SomeVersionName (created on the
>  > top Zope level).
> The first variant should be easy with a SiteAccess AccessRule (--> Zope.org).

Hmm... Sample?

> The second should be very difficult, as there seems to be not
> easy way to distinguish between version controlled access and
> direct (without version) access.

If I understand correctly, it would be the problem to distinguish
between things like Version 'manage' screen and the syntax above.

So maybe:

ftp://my.zope.site:8021/somedir/SomeVersionName/_access_/some/document

(accessing somedir/some/document within version somedir/SomeVersionName)

As you can see, I suggest here adding some functionality to the Version
object - so just any Version could handle ftp access, without adding
additional objects.