[Zope] illegal characters in url error

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Mon, 25 Feb 2002 23:03:02 +0100

Paul Rudin writes:
 > I'm writing a simple file upload web page. I've got it working most
 > of the time; however when file names have certain characters in them
 > I get errors like this:
 >
 >   Zope Error
 >   Zope has encountered an error while publishing this resource.
 >
 >   Error Type: Bad Request
 >   Error Value: The id "[X=X].foo" contains characters illegal in URLs.
Zope restricts ids to contain only characters legal in
URLs (and space).

One solution would be that you do not use the filename
as id but put the filename in the title and use
an artificial id (e.g. derived from "ZopeTime").

I have another solution, but it is not easy to use.
You need to be quite proficient with Python:

  An international ObjectManager that supports almost arbitrary id's.
  With it, you can build custom folders that will not refuse
  your strange ids.

You could also steal the idea and use it in a so called
monkey patch. This, too, requires proficiency with Python
and dynamic Zope modifications.

Dieter