[Zope] Zope and Databases

Matthew T. Kromer matt@zope.com
Tue, 26 Feb 2002 11:22:18 -0500

Richard Hewison wrote:

>On 25 Feb 2002, at 12:22, Matthew T. Kromer wrote:
>
>>Hello Richard,
>>
>>DCOracle2 requires that you have the Oracle client libraries installed on
>>your computer.  You may download from Oracle corporation the ISO images
>>necessary to do an install of the client libraries, see
>>http://technet.oracle.com.  Currently, the Oracle 9i ISO set is three
>>volumes, so I hope you have a good connection.
>>
>>I cannot redistribute Oracle's client libraries; you must obtain them from
>>an authorized Oracle source.
>>

>Okay, so we do have to install Oracle on the Linux server. We were
>hoping that we wouldn't have to. Our Zope server's a bit on the
>crappy side and doesn't have that much space left on it.
>
>>Once you have the Oracle client libraries installed you may connect to
>>your remote database server on your Sun system.
>>

>Sorry for the newbie type question, but what exactly should we be
>looking for on the technet.oracle site? Oracle client libraries for
>Linux don't seem to yield any results.

You have to get either the Oracle 8.1.7.0.1 ISO image (1 CD image) or
the Oracle 9i ISO images (3 CD images).

Unless you're really in to Oracle, I recommend you investigating the
alternatives; I think the minimal client install is going to chew up a
LOT of disk space, and on Oracle 8i, the developer install may NOT
include the necessary header files you need to rebuild DCOracle2.

Note that while I like Oracle, I dont recommend you approach it lightly;
if you haven't the time/space commitment available then a proxy solution
is the better approach for you.

--
Matt Kromer
Zope Corporation  http://www.zope.com/