[Zope] Re: [Jython-users] Jython and Zope

Kevin Butler kbutler@campuspipeline.com
Tue, 26 Feb 2002 15:33:09 -0700

Terry Hancock wrote:

> Chris Withers wrote:
> > Urm, I think you may be misunderstanding Jython. Jython is an implementation of
> > the Python language in Java rather than C, as used by normal python.
>
> No, I'm not misunderstanding Jython -- I just think about
> it differently.
> Frankly, I see applets as the main value in Jython.

Sounds like you're misunderstanding Jython. :-)

I think I wrote an applet in Jython once.  :-)  The download time
was problematic for me, and I'm not all that big on applets anyway...

> The
> ability to run it in JVM applications seems to have
> little use to me. Why not just use Python?  The only
> reason I can imagine is if I had a whole lot of
> stuff already in Java that I wanted to use

Yes - I use Jython extensively to explore, test, prototype, & implement
Java systems & utilities. I'm still trying to come up with a way that
will make it as easy to extend CPython as it is to extend Jython...

> I don't know Java.
> I know C and Python,

I think this is where your atypical perspective comes from - coming
from Python, you look at Jython and see that it doesn't
really add much capability, except "Cool!  I can run in a browser!".

There seems to be a larger community of people doing Java things who
look at Jython and say, "Cool!  [JP]ython makes it really easy
to do all these Java things!"

Both viewpoints are definitely valid, it is just that there is a
larger Java community than a Python community, so the second
opinion is more common.

The-blind-man-who-thought-Jython-was-like-a-snake-was-right-ly y'rs

kb

---
"The Blind Men and the Elephant; There is a famous story about six blind
men encountering an elephant for the first time. Each man, seizing on the single feature of the
animal, which he appeared to have touched first, and being incapable of seeing it whole, loudly
maintained his limited opinion on the nature of the beast. The elephant was variously like a
wall, a spear, a snake, a tree, a fan or a rope, depending on whether the blind men had first
grasped the creature's side, tusk, trunk, knee, ear or tail."
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/africanworld/0865437297.html