[Zope] Re: ZSyncer - where I would need that

Andreas Hölzl hoelzla@t-online.de
Mon, 7 Jan 2002 16:07:14 +0100

> Synchronization has become an issue now when we have developed intranet
> and also have had to think about traveling users. Lotus Notes has been a
> great tool for many corporations, since you have had the possibility to
> take the database with you - and synch it after you have got back from
> the client etc.

> If there would be a bulletproof product in Zope for that, that would
> make wonders.

> -huima

i agree, but i would suggest to fork a new Product for that purpose.
ZSyncer is fine for its purpose: syncing development-production architectures.
There even exists a bidirectional version of it (see previous ZSyncer
postings).
Maybe ZSyncer is a good starting point with XML-RPC as the protocol of choice.

For groupware purpose, i.e. bidirectional non-hierachical database syncing, i
think there would be some kind of versioning useful.
Imagine a different update of a document one the server and a copy of it on
an offline client - how to get client and server in an equal state afterwards.
I'm sure there are some additionally pitfalls.

discussion recommended/desired.

Andreas Hoelzl