[Zope] Zope Products and keeping existing objects uptodate

Andreas Leitner nozone@sbox.tugraz.at
08 Jan 2002 04:19:51 +0100

Hi,

I am currently experimenting with Zope. My goal is it to implement a
sort of specialized web-based file server.

My first idea was it to make a plain Product (not ZClass based). Reason
for this is mainly that I like to controll things. And the Product
source in my file system allows for an easy and proven way to archive
the source plus I can put it into cvs.

Now I plan to get a first release of the Product out and then do
maintainance updates on a regular basis. In the beginning there will be
only one instance of my Product installed on the customers server -
which roughly represents one logical file server (there might be added
more, then each project of my customer will get it's own logical file
server).

Now, I noticed that when I create an instance of a Product, then change
the source code of the Product restart Zope the changes won't make it to
the instance. Zope seems to copy all the dtml pages into it's db.

Now that does not go well with my plan to do regular updates of the
Product. Because they won't matter, because the file server will still
use the old dtml-pages (I have not tested it, but I assume that the
actual source code will come from the latest version of the product
only, please correct me if i am wrong).

Is there an easy way to update already existing instances of Products to
the latest version of the Product?

tia,
Andreas