[Zope] ISO-Splitter again: German Umlaute

Oleg Broytmann Oleg Broytmann <phd@phd.pp.ru>
Wed, 9 Jan 2002 21:22:03 +0300

On Wed, Jan 09, 2002 at 07:17:09PM +0100, Joachim Werner wrote:
> Sorry, I haven't had the time to look into the Splitter code yet. So that's
> why I am asking again:
>
> I don't get the concept of having to specifiy the locale at Zope startup for
> the catalog to work properly. What happens if I WANT en_US locale settings
> in general, but the catalog should be able to handle French, German, or
> Spanish words? How can I build multi-lingual Zope systems with that concept?

   You cannot. Zope uses locale settings, and locale is process-wide
not-thread-safe thingie.
   Our only hope for multilingual databases and systems is Unicode.

Oleg.
--
     Oleg Broytmann            http://phd.pp.ru/            phd@phd.pp.ru