[Zope] Zope 2.5 release?

Tim Hicks timNOT_THIS@sitefusion.co.uk
Wed, 9 Jan 2002 22:49:45 -0000

> Hi!
>
> But, I agree with you abaou the potencial problems of using 2.5.0 on a
> production server, but I have this problem:
>
> I need to use sessions and the way 2.5.0 handle sessions is different from
> the installable products on 2.4.3.
> As I'm designing my apps with 2.5.0, I have to use it in production....
> Is there a way to use the session functions in 2.5.0 in 2.4.3 ?

I'm having this same dilemma at the moment.  I started off developing on
2.5.0.b2, but got burnt by zserver instabilities and various other things.
As a result, I shifted all the way back down to 2.3.3 (the last of the
python 1.5.2 line) which is far more stable on my dev server.  Now things
are working, I'm reluctant to try something potentially less stable.  But...
I'm going to be using sessions and I want my code to be portable to any (at
least, most) zope versions, particularly future ones.

One solution I thought of was to put all my session stuff (a shopping
basket) in one script and test which zope version I'm using at the top.  If
the version > 2.43, then use the new syntax, else use the old.  I don't know
if this is a runner as I haven't looked at how the new session stuff has
changed yet.  In case anyone's interested, I've made this little script to
find out what version of zope I'm in and return it as a float of the form
x.xx (as opposed to x.x.x as the actual versions are named).  See below.

If anyone wants to chip in and tell me it won't work before I try it, feel
free.

tim

## Script (Python) "getVersion"
##bind container=container
##bind context=context
##bind namespace=
##bind script=script
##bind subpath=traverse_subpath
##parameters=
##title=Returns the Zope version as a float
##
import string

vsn = context.Control_Panel.version_txt()[6:11]
vsnsplit = string.split(vsn, '.')
vsndec = string.join(vsnsplit[1:], '')
vsnfloat = '%s.%s' % (vsnsplit[0], vsndec)
vsnfloat = string.atof(vsnfloat)

return vsnfloat