[Zope] access cvsweb thru Zope

Martijn Pieters mj@zope.com
Thu, 10 Jan 2002 14:32:18 -0500

On Wed, Jan 09, 2002 at 12:38:38PM +0200, Max Ischenko wrote:
> I'm trying to find a way to use perl cvsweb CGI script via Zope.  The
> main reason for this - use powerful auth means that Zope has.  Our CVS
> repository is partitioned on project basis using standard UNIX mechanism
> (owner/group/perm). So I can't simply run cvsweb from anonymous user ---
> it won't has required permissions.
>
> I (probably) need to auth user first (thru Zope) and then run cvsweb.cgi
> from that user.
>
> Does anyone do something similar? Is it possible at all?
> AFAIU I should grok External Method first.

You may want to look into viewcvs first, which is a Python rewrite of
cvsweb. It is actively maintained, unlike viewcvs:

  http://viewcvs.sf.net/

Because it is written in Python, you may have an easier time integrating it
in Zope.

Note however that Zope runs as an anonymous user as well, and that switching
to other users may not be feasable. You would do better adding a special
user to all groups that exist in the repository, such that the CGI user can
read all CVS files.

--
Martijn Pieters