[Zope] Re: Moderate this list?

Martijn Pieters mj@zope.com
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 12:20:04 -0500

Just to make things clear:

  - Mailman does a fine job of filtering out most email that doesn't belong
    here. This morning I found 46 messages in the hold queue that were not
    appropriate and where thus discarded.

  - We already use a blacklist for spammers. But, in my experience, most
    spammers do not return, I hardly have any hits on this blacklist.

  - I am looking into additional MTA level spam filtering. Open Relay spam
    is already dealt with without locking out legitimate posters. This move
    is more for non-mailinglist @zope.org and @python.org mail, as we get
    most spam through there.

  - This list will not close to non-subscribers, nor will it enforce schemes
    where you have to subscribe to a shadow-list or other convoluted
    arrangements, or force you to use a particular mailer. The problem
    simply isn't big enough to make life for those posters difficult!

  - As Mailman is maintained by Pythonlabs, I work closely with it's current
    maintainer on improving it's spam-busting facilities. New versions of
    Mailman will have features that are geared to making that part of a
    mailinglist maintainer easier. I see no reason to switch list managers.

--
Martijn Pieters