[Zope] Corrupt ZODB on W2k

Tom Cameron tom@mooball.com
Sat, 12 Jan 2002 08:20:37 +1000

A client of mine insisted in running Zope on Win2k, so I installed Zope
2.3.4 (some time ago) on their server and also a few products/sites I built
for them.

The machine has been running now for about 8 months. They don't change much,
but it is relatively heavily loaded. They pack the ZODB monthly and backup
regularly.

On two occasions in the past 8 months, we have noticed very peculiar
permissions problems. Several months ago, all of a sudden, several of the
users could no longer access the ZMI. Also sections of the site returned
permissions errors for no reason. Sometimes specific DTML methods simply
refused to display with permissions errors.

After many hours of investigating we found no possible logic to this. I then
exported the entire ZODB and re-imported it all into a fresh ZODB. All was
fine again.

Now, several months later the same problem has re-appeared. Again they get
weird permissions errors on certain objects, but no real logic or pattern to
the errors. Creating new users does not always work. Old users get locked
out. Some DTML methods will not work.

It looks very much like the ZODB simply gets corrupt over time.

I can fix this by exporting-importing again, but I am wondering if anybody
else has any experience of a similar problem or solution?

Tom