AW: [Zope] Data.fs

olpa@familie-pabst.de olpa@familie-pabst.de
Mon, 14 Jan 2002 10:26:07 +0100 (CET)

On Today, zope-admin@zope.org wrote:

> Subject: Re: AW: [Zope] Data.fs
> Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 02:16:55 -0700 (MST)
> Cc: zope@zope.org
> To: "Mayer, Steven" <Steven.Mayer@t-systems.de>
> From: kosh@aesaeion.com
>
> On Mon, 14 Jan 2002, Mayer, Steven wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > Our Zope Version is 2.4.3 and Python 2.1, but our Linux Filesystem can?t work with files >2GB, this is the Problem!
> > And there must be a reason that the data.fs increase, though nobody works on Zope...! But what??
> > And if our Filesystem can work with files >2GB there is anywhere a limit where the system can work. In a Year the Data.fs will reach the 6GB limit?
> > We need a solution for our Data.fs, that it will not reach the 2GB limit.
> >
> > Regards
> > Steven :)
>
> If you upgrader your glibc and your kernel then it can go over 2GB just
> fine. The limit is not the filesystem but glibc and the kernel. Overall a
> newer dist will take care of this automatically but even with ext2 if you
> upgrade glibc, the kernel, and compile python with large file support you
> should be fine.

The data.fs can increase without user interaction when updating properties
or objects. Each property change is stored incrementally in the Data.fs.
The value is not simply replaced!

Are you sure that your file system cannot handle >2gb ? did you test with
a dd if=/dev/zero of=testfile bs=1M count=2500 if such a file can be
created...

Gruß,
oliver