[Zope] CMF Intro?

Shane Landrum srl@mail.boston.com
Mon, 14 Jan 2002 17:55:10 -0500

On Mon, Jan 14, 2002 at 02:42:50PM -0800, Derek Simkowiak (dereks@realloc.net) wrote:

> 	Hehe... :)  Well, honestly, I'm not billing for my research time;
> I just want to push the idea that an "Introduction to CMF" that has the
> following would be very helpful:
>
> 1.  What is the problem that CMF solves?
> 2.  Why can't plain Zope handle it?  (Or: Why it is easier with CMF)
> 3.  What is "workflow"?
> 4.  ...and that actually _defines_ the new terms it introduces (such
> as SiteDesignServices and IntegrationServices)

Agreed.

FYI, workflow is a way to express business rules for
a publishing system, like this:

"A document starts in the mind of an author. Then it goes to
an editor, who signs off on it and marks it 'ready to publish'.
If the document's not okay, it goes back to the author
for further editing. Once the editor's approved the document,
it goes to the Legal department for auditing; anyone who's
in the Legal group can pick it up and approve it. Once
it's approved, it goes to the live site where anonymous
visitors can see it."

This is one of the major features that people who buy commercial,
proprietary CMS systems are looking for. CMF is Zope's answer
to workflow.

srl
--
Shane Landrum  (srl AT boston DOT com)  Software Engineer, boston.com