[Zope] LocalFS

Keith J. Farmer kfarmer@thuban.org
Mon, 14 Jan 2002 21:43:46 -0800

Code is best when it's not a hack.

The normal default directory browsing mixes files and subdirectories.
While you can sort by type and id, this isn't a particularly enthralling
solution.  For example, if you just want directories gathered at the top
of the list, but don't want files sorted any further than id.

Also, if you give a spec of '*.jpg', this will exclude directories
(which have a spec of '*/' or '*\'). =20

Internally, LocalFS will place directories at the top, if they are
included in the spec.  This, however, leads to boring and stupid urls
while browsing (always having to include '*/').

I could use tpValues(), but that doesn't deal with the spec, which
LocalFS appends internally to the url variable for directories (that it
adds this spec information without asking is a coding mistake, imho).

.. hmm.. perhaps I should remove that mistake, rewrite methodBrowse to
explicitly add spec as needed, and have done with it?

As I said.. code is best when it's not a hack.  Code is best when it
allows modification without hackification.

Keith J. Farmer
kfarmer@thuban.org
http://www.thuban.org