[Zope] Tomcat vs Zope

seb bacon seb@jamkit.com
17 Jan 2002 12:57:17 +0000

I've done a bit of Java web development in the past:

Tomcat serves up JSPs and servlets, that's all.  You can't really
compare that to zope.

With tomcat, you don't get an ODB, persistence, built in security, TTW
management interface, (good) separation of presentation and business
logic, etc...

For a more meaningful comparison, you could compare zope to J2EE, which
provides for concepts of object-relational mapping, persistence, etc.
The open source J2EE server is jboss.

As an enterprise platform, J2EE is better than zope, perhaps: they have
thought long and hard about scaleability, replication, remote
invocation, 'web services', etc.  As a rapid development platform,
though, it sucks (again IMO).  Java is so verbose, deploying an
application takes ages, and you still don't get some of the powerful
zope features like the security model out of the box.

There is a lot more documentation about J2EE, JSP, etc, of course.

So, I think the only reasons to use a J2EE solution are (a) if you're
doing a big enterprise-scale project with specific requirements, (b) if
you want a buzzword on your CV, or (c) you will be handing on
development to other parties (zope being fairly unknown still)

seb