[Zope] Peculiarity (bug?) with default parameters to external methods

Jean Jordaan jean@upfrontsystems.co.za
Mon, 21 Jan 2002 17:40:30 +0200

Hi all

I'm seeing funny behaviour when using external methods with default
parameters. Martijn Faassen says it best in a posting from three years
ago:

  From my (limited) perspective it still looks as if all works just as
  expected (in the Python sense), *except* when I use default parameters
  in the external methods, and only then when I don't use the explicit
  "foo='bar'" method of parameter passing.

http://lists.zope.org/pipermail/zope/1999-February/086018.html

I won't bore you with a description of what exactly goes wrong. In
short, when I have::

  def makeTSV(self, rows, field_names = None):

then 'rows' gets a completely spurious value. When I have::

  def makeTSV(self, rows, field_names):

'rows' works as expected. I didn't find any more enlightening docs or
posts. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Regards,
Jean Jordaan