[Zope] Static fail-over

Oliver Bleutgen myzope@gmx.net
Tue, 22 Jan 2002 10:18:34 +0100

Chris McDonough wrote:

>[...]
>
>>Is there a way to use URL Rewriting rules in Apache (with
>>mod_rewrite) to test if a particular box was alive, and only if so, direct
>>traffic there?  Maybe have it look if a particular file exists (or some
>>such)?
>>

> If you find out, please let me know, that sounds very useful!

Perhaps a bit trivial, but maybe this could be a poor man's solution to
this problem:

Apache gives the possibility to customize its error behaviour,

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/core.html#errordocument
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/custom-error.html

Maybe it's possible to just use that to redirect apache to an uri which
delivers a nightly built static version of the site. Also, one can
redirect to an cgi script which sends an email before redirecting to
that static version. I just don't know for sure whether the "upstream
host not responding" error of mod_proxy can be handled here.

cheers,
oliver