[Zope] PCGI Error explanation (Second Request)

Tony McDonald tony.mcdonald@ncl.ac.uk
Tue, 22 Jan 2002 23:39:32 +0000

On 22/1/02 4:17 pm, "Steven Grimes" <sgrimes@acceleratedtechnology.com>
wrote:

> Anyone,
>
> I don't want to be a pest but our system is randomly giving the "Temporarily
> Unavailable" error message to clients and I don't know what is causing it.
> If I can't get an explanation of these error messages I'm afraid my boss
> will make me move away from using Zope. So please someone give me some help.

Eek! - can't have that!

Ok, all our current work is done on Solaris using Zserver with an Apache
front-end using Virtual host monsters (what a name!). You could run your
Zope server on port 80 using Zserver only, thus avoiding PCGI - there's lots
of info on running windows servers as services on the mailing lists. The VHM
stuff is very flexible (as is SiteAccess) and may be able to help.

I've found this setup to be very stable (PCGI gave me the same kind of
errors you're seeing - but it was a while ago)

> I'm getting the following errors in my pcgi.log file. I do not know what
> they mean. could someone enlighten me? If you don't know what they mean
> could you please point me to some documentation on how PCGI logs errors?
>
> My setup is Zope 2.2.0 on Windoze NT 4 using IIS 4 for SSL support.

This is a very old Zope, you could try the 2.3.0 type releases (very stable,
runs with 1.5.2 python - the 2.4.x Zopes, although more feature laden, do
have stability problems - and they are not trivial to fix). I'm sure Oleg
might mention using FCGI :) - but I have no experience of it.

> I've searched the mailing list and all other documentation that I could find
> with no luck.
>
> (1)
> Mon Jan 21 11:29:04 2002
> pcgi-wrapper: (112) error returning stdout to server (112) Error
> returning stdout to server
>
> (2)
> Mon Jan 21 11:38:41 2002
> pcgi-wrapper: Failed to start resource (101) failure during start
>
> (3)
> Mon Jan 21 12:15:04 2002
> pcgi-wrapper: No error (107) bad stdout strlen (0)

I'm sorry Steven, I don't remember *any* of these kind of errors from PCGI.

HTH,
Tone
--
Dr Tony McDonald,  Assistant Director, FMCC, http://www.fmcc.org.uk/
The Medical School, Newcastle University Tel: +44 191 243 6140