[Zope] Zope's database capability

Lennart Regebro lennart@regebro.nu
Thu, 24 Jan 2002 21:42:26 +0100

From: "Tom Nixon" <tom.nixon@aim23.com>
> I have one question about Zope's database: How does it compare in
> performance to a relational database server? I am think about a scenario
> such as a recruitment site with a large database of jobs and candidates.

What is "large"?

The databases I have worked with both when it comes to zope and SQL have
either have tables with maybe a couple of thousands items, which
is quite doable with zope, or they have had several tens of millions of
records and complete databases close to terabytes, which not even Sybase or
MS SQL will handle very well.

> Is it possible to build complex queries on the Zope database?

No, thats pretty hard to do, so it's common to put data that you want to do
complex queries on in an SQL database.

> Has anyone had
> any experience of building a big database-driven site in Zope, and if so
> did you build it all using the Zope database?

Ehm, well ALL zope sites are databasedriven in one form or another. Some of
them are pretty big, such as zope.org.