[Zope] Data.fs + WebDAV vs. LocalFS + Samba

Joachim Werner joe@iuveno-net.de
Sun, 27 Jan 2002 02:40:39 +0100

Hi!

> > The idea is that endusers can drag'n'drop files under MS-Windows,
> > and immediately have those files -- password protected via Zope --
> > available on the web.  This is for a design house that needs to make
> > videos, web pages, etc. available to clients for review with HTTP.
>
> You could also try IE's drag-n-drop ftp support.

FTP is as problematic as WebDAV if you use pre-XP versions of Windows.

> > I see my two options as:
> >
> > 1. Mount the Zope server as a WebDAV drive under MS-WindowsXP, then just
> > drag'n'drop there
> >
> > 2. Use LocalFS to give Zope access to some directory, and then share
that
> > directory with Samba

I guess if you have the choice and all clients are in the same LAN, LocalFS
+ Samba is a good and fast solution. It just won't work as soon as you want
to add users that only have Internet access. If you can use commercial
products, there is WebDrive, which adds WebDAV support (as a mounted drive)
for pre-XP Windows versions.

> > Also, with LocalFS I have the "type_map" property, which
> > is really useful.  I am *still* shocked and amazed that there is no such
> > property for standard Zope folders--what good is WebDAV access without
it?

> Once you get over the shock you could try to implement it ;)

It is relatively easy to implement that. It could be the next feature for
our increasingly mislabelled OrderedFolder (which already is ordered, has
sub-objects, filters, optional transparency, etc.)

Joachim