[Zope] Auto-copy objects from one folder to another?

Mon, 28 Jan 2002 12:34:16 -0800

I want to be able to make periodic backups of objects from one folder to
another automatically;  I would like to back up modified objects in one
folder periodically to another nearly identical folder mounted on an
external ODB via ExternalMount and ZEO.  I've never considered what it would
take to copy an object from one place to another, so I had a few questions:

- Is the best solution just to take the _getObject() from folder1 and do a
_setObject() in Folder 2?
- How reliable is bobobase_modification_time for using to determine object
modification time in Folder1?
- Related to the above, might it work to wrap backed-up objects with an
extra property containing the original mod time on the object when it lived
in Folder1 as a means of comparison?  The other thought I had was to figure
out a way to get an MD5 or SHA hash for the object, but I figure that doing
this on a folder with thousands of objects might be a total waste of CPU...
- Any other thoughts?

Sean

Sean Upton
Site Technology Supervisor