[Zope] urgent stability problem on production site

Matthew T. Kromer matt@zope.com
Wed, 30 Jan 2002 12:06:05 -0500

Frank Tegtmeyer wrote:

>Hi,
>
>the ZPatterns list seems to be misconfigured - I cannot reach the list
>or someone at eby-sarna.com. So I post my problem here:
>
>Today we got online with a customer site and unfortunately instantly got a
>problem with ZPatterns or TransactionAgents, I don't really know.
>
>The site is quite heavily used - 40000 users that got a registration
>this night try to change their username and password now. All works
>very well and fast.
>
>The problem is that the Zope process dies once in a while - a while
>varies from 20 seconds to 20 minutes. I saw a relationship between
>login tries (login form) and the Zope process dying. Unfortunately
>this happens randomly - always when Zope dies shortly before that
>somebody tried a login. At the other side many logins work without Zope
>dying.

Frank, try starting Zope up single-threaded ( -t 1 ) and see if that
helps; I'm nervous about a potential problem with the MySQLDA C
libraries having thread-local data and switching threads leading to
instability.  We've had one customer who 'made the problems go away'
when they ran single-threaded Zope.