[Zope] Architecture Suggestions?

Richard Gordon richard@richardgordon.net
Wed, 30 Jan 2002 23:34:18 -0500

At 4:36 PM -0500 1/30/02, Thomas B. Passin wrote:
>Our company uses Notes/Domino on its internal and external web sites -
>although I haven't worked with it myself - and it handles many more files of
>all kinds than you mention without apparent trouble.

Thanks for the reply. I wasn't concerned with the number or kinds of
files so much as their weight. IIS is already groaning sometimes.

>  The Notes database, I
>am told, has both relational and object features, and seems to be very
>capable.

hmm. I understood that it essentially had neither.
http://www.woomeranet.com.au/bazaar.enterprise.html

>Zope might well be a better solution, but Notes/Domino could be a real
>contender if there is a way to handle the link problem.  It would take some
>technical analysis, which might include the ability to keep using your
>Python reporting stuff with minimal changes (a plus for Zope) vs whether
>there is strong inhouse expertise in Notes.

The link problem is pretty bad. I've never found anything in the Word
api that will let you automate global changes to hyperlinks via
regular expressions and, even if you could, I found that a huge
number of them are essentially corrupted by the ways that Word stores
changes (in other words, an active version works, but the document
can be littered with artifacts).

Anyway, there is no inhouse Notes expertise- I am up against some
other contractors and do have the dubious advantage of working for
about half their hourly rates. Why Notes people can charge more than
Oracle and Java programmers is not clear to me.

Anyway, thanks again.

Richard Gordon
Gordon Design
Web Design/Database Development