[Zope] Anybody running Zope on Alpha? [was: Python/Zope + Alpha/Redhat == Memory Bloat?]

Stefan H. Holek stefan@epy.co.at
Thu, 31 Jan 2002 19:57:19 +0100

At 31.01.2002 13:01 -0500, Shane Hathaway wrote:
>Stefan H. Holek wrote:
>
>>I am observing the following phenomenon:
>>Develop a Zope site on Intel/Redhat. Takes about 40MB RAM.
>>Deploy the site on Alpha/Redhat. Contantly grows, easily eating 1GB (!)
>>of RAM until it hits the swap and we restart Zope!
>

>I assume you've removed extra products and you're running an "out of the
>box" Zope.
>
>The first thing I would look at is the "debugging" control panel.  It will
>tell you if there are a lot of instances of specific Python classes.  If
>there are, it could be a Zope bug.  If there aren't, it's probably a
>Python (or C runtime or C compiler or kernel or hardware ;-) ) bug.
>
>Shane

How does for example
   RestrictedPython.compiler.transfomer.Transformer: 774635
look to you? ;-)

Seriously, I am seeing this over all our projects with various versions of
Zope and Python on Alpha/Redhat. In one project it's the BTrees, in another
it's RestrictedPython. I assume it to be a Python GC problem on that
particular combination, because, as I said, the very same things on Intel
work perfectly.

So, anybody else seeing this? Anybody out there running Zope on Alpha/Redhat?
How do you do it? Any success stories with Alpha/Debian maybe? I'd rather
find a solution than tell a bunch of customers they need new hardware :-/.

Thanks,
Stefan