[Zope] Re: zope binary help

Erik Stephens erik.stephens@newtimes.com
Thu, 31 Jan 2002 15:03:07 -0700

On Thursday 31 January 2002 02:00 pm, you wrote:
> Hey Erik,
> I read you're post and although I can't in solving your questions
> (although i wish i could) I was hopeing you could help me sort out
> my installation issues with 2.5.0 binary.
>
> I'm new to Zope and could really use a little help installing.
> I'm on a Solaris Box.
>
> I've Downloaded Zope-2.5.0-solaris-2.6-sparc
> ./install -u root
>
> all looks good
>
> Next I try to
> ./start -u root
> All goes well until the install seems to get hung up on
> Unix socket: /path to Zope-2.5.0/var/pcgi

I don't think that it is hung.  You ran start but didn't throw it in
the background, so your shell will sit there waiting for output from
the start command.  Did you see some messages about it listening on
port 8080 for the web server and 8021 for the ftp server before that
Unix socket message?  If so, then you're in business.

> When I try to
> ./start (with no other options)
>
> I get:
> File /path to Zope/zy.py, line 688, in?
> IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/path to Zope/var/Z2.pid'
>
> I imagine this time the error comes from not starting as root.
> That and the fact that this file does not seem t be in the "var" folder.

When you started it as root the first time, the ownership of the files
in <ZopeInstall>/var were changed to the root user.  Non-root users
will now be unable to write to files like Data.fs and Z2.pid.  chown
those files to the user you'll be running Zope as.

> basically i can't bet to
> mymachine.com:8080/manage
> So I haven't got this up and running yet.
>
> I would greatly appreciate any Advice on this.
>
> Thank you in Advance,
> jESSE

Good luck,
Erik