[Zope] Zope binary distributions

Erik Stephens erik.stephens@newtimes.com
Thu, 31 Jan 2002 15:15:21 -0700

On Thursday 31 January 2002 02:22 pm, you wrote:
> if you compare wo_pcgi.py and w_pcgi.py you can see that all w_pcgi does
> is execcute the inst/build_pcgi.py and inst/make_resource.py scripts and
> then run wo_pcgi.py.
>
> inst/build_pcgi.py changes into the pcgi directory and runs configure and
> make to build the pcgi wrapper. inst/make_resource.py creates the Zope.cgi
> file.
>
> so the difference is a little time savings.

Maybe I'm just an idiot, but having the two build options seems to
just unnecessarily confuse the situation.  If one provides a superset
of the other, but will cost some extra build time [1], then why offer
the wo_pcgi.py build option?  Maybe it was fully documented somewhere,
but I would want to minimize the amount of docs I'd have to read in
order to get up and running.

I never bothered looking at the source, like I probably should've, but
I've been assuming there existed some core differences between the two
builds.  I'm glad my assumption was wrong though. :)

[1] I'm assuming that the amount of time to build the PCGI wrapper is
negligible, but you know what happens when you assume.

Thanks again,
Erik