[Zope] Multi-Developer Zope Setup

Marius Gedminas marius@codeworks.lt
Fri, 5 Jul 2002 10:02:07 +0200

On Thu, Jul 04, 2002 at 01:20:25PM -0400, Jonah Bossewitch wrote:
> Thanks for the detailed reply.  I was going through these contortions you
> describe as complicated because I only want to run one Zope development
> server, instead of having all of our developers (and designers) run their
> own zopes on their own machines.  At your company, is zope itself in version
> control?

No, we use Debian packages of Zope.  Only additional products (+ our
external methods, i.e. /var/lib/zope/Extensions) are in CVS.

> If you add a new Product, how is it propagated to all the
> developer's local zopes?

Yes, CVS.

Because our application includes a Zope product, we find it better to
use separate Zope instances for each developer -- one needs to restart
Zope after modifying a product, and preferably without interrupting the
work of others.  I've heard that ZEO can also help here.

> Also, have you investigated the use of ZCVSFile (extends
> xternalFile  -http://www.zope.org/Members/arielpartners/CVSFile).

I only read the description.  The approach seems a bit more elegant and
simpler (i.e.  less likely to break), but it supports only a small set
of objects and thus was unsuitable for our needs.

Marius Gedminas
--
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.