[Zope] Is ZODB a true object database?

Paul Winkler pw_lists@slinkp.com
Sat, 6 Jul 2002 21:10:50 -0400

On Sat, Jul 06, 2002 at 08:53:04PM -0400, Russ wrote:
> 2. I don't see any web file structure in the Zope program at all.
>     Nothing like  a wwwroot directory exists anywhere on my PC
>     under Zope. Does that mean that ALL objects created in Zope
>     ONLY exist in the ZODB?

Yes, with a few exceptions:
some products such as ExtFile that give Zope access to data
on the filesystem;
also, you can add python code that lives on the filesystem, either in
Zope Products or External Methods;
and there are Products that can make use of DTML or ZPT files that
actually are files on the filesytem. CMF is one such product.

Otherwise, you're correct. DTML Documents & Methods,
Python Scripts, ZPT pages, Images, etc. are all objects that
live in the ZODB.

And does that also mean the only place I see
>     the web file structure is when I log on to Zope on port 8080?

almost... you can also see it via FTP using port 8021...
but you've got the right idea.

--

Paul Winkler
home:  http://www.slinkp.com