[Zope] XUF - authentication problem

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Sun, 7 Jul 2002 22:11:49 +0200

Sebastian Kors writes:
 > >    Some browsers do not automatically pass authentication
 > >    information to requests down in a protected hierarchy.
 > >
 > >    It is not a real bug, as HTTP only specifies that they
 > >    should do so, not that they must do so.
 > >
 > >    Older versions of IE 5 (IE 5.0) are known to behave this way.
 > >

 > > Dieter
 > >
 > Hello,
 >
 > Okay, thanks a lot, but why does it go well when i log in
 > with the browser pop up?
Maybe, you have not been clear enough when you reported your problem...

  I now understand that basic authentication (in contrast to
  cookie authentication) works. Basic (or other HTTP) authentication
  is identified by the browser performing the login dialog alone
  without server control.

  In this case, you can forget the IE 5.0 remark.

  If the problem only occurs for cookie authentication,
  then it looks like a cookie problem.

  Usually, this is caused by a missing "path='/'" argument
  to the "setCookie" call.

  There have also been cookie related problems with some newer
  Apache versions ...

Dieter