[Zope] DTML, Zope and Regex

Jorge O. Martinez jmartinez@eMediaMillWorks.com
Wed, 10 Jul 2002 13:32:39 -0400

Jim Penny wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 10, 2002 at 09:56:32AM -0700, Charlie Reiman wrote:
>
>>I was agreeing with Toby, until it dawned on me that string.* is available
>>unrestricted. Yes, my regexs may be vulnerable to a DOS attack if someone
>>foists a 4M string at me. But so is string.index and string.rindex and (even
>>worse) string.lower. Besides, as Oliver points out, limiting access to re
>>doesn't mean I can't write code that wantonly consumes all CPU and memory.
>>His example is artificial but it could easily be modified to take paramters
>>from the HTTP REQUEST and still do stupid things.
>

> Yes, but at least each is linear w.r.t. input size.  regexes can be
> exponential.  Damn, I am trying to remember: it feels to me that they
> can be factorial (but this would be hard to do accidentally).
>

>>If the issue is resource (CPU or memory or disk) consumption, then trying to
>>limit package availability is never going to be a 100% solution. To limit
>>resource consumption, you must (wait for it....) limit resource consumption.
>>In other words, requests need CPU timeouts and memory quotas.
>

> True -- it is not, and was never intended to be a 100% solution.  It was
> an engineering tradeoff.  And I suspect that the needs of Zope Hosting
> providers was weighed heavily.  They would want to be able to look at a
> user's code that was taking a lot of resource and quickly make a
> decision on whether to continue to have him as a customer.  regexes
> would certainly make that more difficult.  I don't know any of this, I
> am as far outside Zope decision making circles as can be.

I think I am beginning to understand the scope of the decision to exclude regex
support: more security for the future Zope ISP's vs less convenience for the
future Zope developers; however, don't you all think that potential Zope
developers may be discouraged when they know they have to contact their ISP to
install an external method or product if they have something that requires a
simple regex in their DTML/TAL code, as opposed to a developer who is working
on an Apache/PHP solution, and has all the functionality PHP offers including
regex support (with the restrictions the admin imposes on users via php.ini)
without having to ask anything special to the ISP (except if they need
something more specialized like ImageMagick support)?

Looks like the security issue  may be stepping on the usability issue's toes,
which ultimately may interfere into wider adoption as developers with access to
their own boxes will be more likely to go for Zope than developer relying on
ISP's.

Wouldn't it be better to somehow limit how much 'damage' developers can do in
their own work area (via the Monster module, or zoped.ini for example), and
give them enough rope to hang themselves, but not to crash the system. Don't
know if that is possible, just an idea.