[Zope] DTML, Zope and Regex

Jorge O. Martinez jmartinez@eMediaMillWorks.com
Wed, 10 Jul 2002 13:58:39 -0400

Paul Winkler wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 10, 2002 at 03:17:14PM +0100, Ben Avery wrote:
>
>>well, external methods are python scripts with no safety measures at
>>all,
>

> For one thing, they live on the filesystem. If somebody has read/write access
> to your filesystem, you have much bigger problems than what th
> can do to your external methods. e.g. rm -f var/Data.fs.

I understand your concern with a situation like the above, but that is not
exactly what I had in mind, I was thinking about matching/replacing strings,
and take actions based on matches, not executing commands at the system level.

Additionally, when I am talking about regex functionality, I think it would
help if it's enabled within the context of Zope (inside Data.fs only) as a
default, and not allowed to interact with outside stuff in the filesystem. Then
people who wanted even more functionality could enable filesystem fuctionality
at their own risk. For enhanced security only members of some group could be
give the right to execute regexe's, or, even better, only certain folders could
be enabled for that. Just some ideas...

--
Jorge O. Martinez
MIS Senior Associate