[Zope] Cataloging external documents (word, pdf, excel...)

Tony McDonald tony.mcdonald@ncl.ac.uk
Tue, 16 Jul 2002 11:21:36 +0100

On 16/7/02 10:56 am, "douwe@oberon.nl" <douwe@oberon.nl> wrote:

>>> I could just ask the list for help, instead of wasting some hours
>>> installing and trying them. Can anyone help me?
>> Have a look at textindexng (http://textindexng.sf.net)
>>
>> Pieter
>>
> Just for my information, will this also work for *external* files, as Igor
> wanted, ie documents that are not part of the ZODB?
>
> I was working on something like this using LocalFS and just inserting the
> contents of the file into the catalog. Doesn't work yet though.

I had a look at that too - gave up, LocalFS hasn't seen work for a while,
but there are moves afoot to bring it back to life (see archives and LocalFS
page at Zope.org).

DocumentLibrary (kaivo - http://www.zope.org/Members/Kaivo/DocumentLibrary)
can index external files using a patch available from the mailing list
(http://lists.sourceforge.net/mailman/listinfo/nlada-library-users).

It does work, of a fashion - I can't index RTF files nor web pages, but the
patch is built on 1.0b3 and the latest version of DocumentLibrary is 1.0rc1.

DocumentLibrary as it stands (without the patch) is very well written and is
very customizable - I just don't want a ZODB bloating up with multi-meg
files! :)

Hth
Tone.
--
Dr Tony McDonald,  Assistant Director, FMCC, http://www.fmcc.org.uk/
The Medical School, Newcastle University Tel: +44 191 243 6140