[Zope] Multi-Developer Zope Setup

Jonah Bossewitch jonah@abstractedge.com
Wed, 24 Jul 2002 12:51:42 -0400

Hi Marius,

We still have not settled on a stable multi-developer solution.  Code and
Products we plan to manage externally with ZEO, but we were hoping to manage
the cmf/plone skins and templates with CVSFolder to facilitate collaborative
development.

Some complications surfaced when we tried to use CVSFolder with CMF and
Plone Sites.

You mentioned that you are using a post-0.2.7 version of CVSFolder - I
wonder if you have submitted your bug fixes and enhancments to sourceforge
or if you would be willing to make them available to us?  Do any of these
bug fixes address using CVSFolder with CMF?

Thanks again,
Jonah

-----Original Message-----
From: zope-admin@zope.org [mailto:zope-admin@zope.org]On Behalf Of
Marius Gedminas
Sent: Friday, July 05, 2002 4:02 AM
To: zope@zope.org
Subject: Re: [Zope] Multi-Developer Zope Setup

On Thu, Jul 04, 2002 at 01:20:25PM -0400, Jonah Bossewitch wrote:
> Thanks for the detailed reply.  I was going through these contortions you
> describe as complicated because I only want to run one Zope development
> server, instead of having all of our developers (and designers) run their
> own zopes on their own machines.  At your company, is zope itself in
version
> control?

No, we use Debian packages of Zope.  Only additional products (+ our
external methods, i.e. /var/lib/zope/Extensions) are in CVS.

> If you add a new Product, how is it propagated to all the
> developer's local zopes?

Yes, CVS.

Because our application includes a Zope product, we find it better to
use separate Zope instances for each developer -- one needs to restart
Zope after modifying a product, and preferably without interrupting the
work of others.  I've heard that ZEO can also help here.

> Also, have you investigated the use of ZCVSFile (extends
> xternalFile  -http://www.zope.org/Members/arielpartners/CVSFile).

I only read the description.  The approach seems a bit more elegant and
simpler (i.e.  less likely to break), but it supports only a small set
of objects and thus was unsuitable for our needs.

Marius Gedminas
--
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.